The proposal was discussed in the working Group II B meeting held on06.10.10 with the following observations anddecisions:
- Traffic Police had suggested certain locations where traffic signals are required to be installed to ensure safe pedestrian crossings and conflict free traffic movement on Aurobindo Marg. Following observations were made:
- Installation of a pedestrian signal with 15 seconds phase at INA Market.
- Installation of a pedestrian signal in front of AIIMS- Safdarjung Hospital with 15 seconds phase
- Installation of traffic signal at Aurobindo Marg- Gurdwara 'T' point to facilitate turning movements/ pedestrian crossing on Aurobindo Marg.
- Installation/ modification of a signal at Aurobindo Place/ Green Park- Aurobindo Marg 'T' point with no right turn provision from Aurobindo Marg towards Green Park.
- Installation/ modification of a signal at Aurobindo Marg- Dilip Singh Marg junction with the provision of a U-turn on Aurobindo Marg.
- The above requirements from Traffic Police Department were addressed in UTTIPEC proposed alignment plan. However some modifications were suggested at Dilip Singh Marg junction. The following decisions were made:
- The pelican signal suggested by Traffic police at INA Market can be a full signaljunction at Barapulla Nalah Road and Aurobindo Marg intersection, and is to be checked at site.
- Provision of Pedestrian crossing infront of AIIMS and Safdarjang Hospital- The Subway facility provided at this location be upgraded to match the requirements of sick, handicapped, old people and women. The pedestrian crossing to be provided until the subway facilities are upgraded to more user friendly. The U- turn geometry of full signal junction at AIIMS may be studied. Until then the pedestrian crossing be restored at the Ansari Colony.
- Gurdwara T point: A full signal was agreed upon by opening the median before a final approval is given by UTTIPEC & checked at site.
- Installation/ modification of a signal at Aurobindo Place/ Green Park- Aurobindo Marg 'T' point with no right turn provision from Aurobindo Marg towards Green Park was agreed upon in the meeting. The existing bus stop locations are very close on either side of the 3 arm junction. This needs to be reworked to avoid traffic congestion due to bus queuing.
- Green Park Aurobindo Marg T point just before Dilip Singh Marg junction should be closed to improve Road and junction geometry. Possibility of Service Lane needs to be checked for entries into Green Park locality.
- It was suggested that NMT Lane be made 3.5m instead of 2.5m as shown in the cross section.
- The concerned road owning agency (PWD and NDMC) to be invited for further meetings as detailed project report of the conceptual alignment plan from UTTIPEC shall be prepared by them. However, if BRT is decided upon to be implemented on Aurobindo Marg,DIMTS will be the responsible agency to make the detailed project report.
- UTTIPEC suggested that entire system with BRT and MRT needs to be studied in order to design more multimodal interchanges. BRT should ideally be proposed on Aurobindo Marg from AIIMS to IIT square. DIMTS should be consulted as BRT is not currently proposed on Aurobindo Marg.
- Suggestions were made by UTTIPEC to divert traffic from Barapulla Nalah to Aurobindo Marg at INA. It needs to be studied further.
It was decided that the proposal prepared by UTTIPEC will be updated incorporating the suggestions made in the Working Group II B meeting and the modified proposal will be finalized after the joint inspection of UTTIPEC, PWD, NDMC, Delhi Traffic Police and E.M, DDA. The finalized proposal shall be put up in the Working group/ Governing Body for consideration.
The proposal was discussed in the working Group II B meeting held on15.10.10 with the following decisions:
A joint site inspection under EM, DDA will be conducted to finalize the proposed MRTS connectivity project with officers from PWD, DMRC, NDMC, Delhi Traffic Police & UTTIPEC.
The proposal was discussed in the working Group II Governing body meeting held on 29.10.10 with the following decisions:
Considering the reservationof the Chairman of WG II B/EM,DDA about the opening of median/signalization at some locations on Aurobindo Marg, Governing Body decided that EM, DDA, Jt.CP, Traffic & Director, UTTIPEC along with concerned officers of PWD/NDMC to inspect the corridor immediately to decide the circulation system/ location of signals etc. before the proposal is finalised and discussed in the next Governing Body Meeting.
The proposal was discussed in the working Group II B meeting held on27.10.10 with the following observations and decisions:
It was submitted that the proposal of signalized pedestrian crossings and signalization of5junctions /intersections, which were closed during the DMRC Metroline construction wasagreed in principle in WG –III A meeting with a suggestion to consider the retrofitting work required for the designing of the junction/intersection in WG-II-B meeting.
The proposal was presented as a Multi Modal Corridor plan as part of the MRTS corridor projects taken up by UTTIPEC based on approved Pedestrian Design Guidelines & TOD connectivity principles.
Considering thatthe decision already taken in the WG-III-A meeting for proposal of signalization of Aurbindo Marg, the WG of the opinion that the Corridor Development Plan with all necessary detailsbe brought up after the decision on the signalization on this corridor is taken by the Governing Body.
The proposal was again discussed in the working Group II B meeting held on03.02.11 with the following observations and decisions:
It was submitted that a proposal has been worked out based on the suggestions madeby PWD, DMRC, Delhi Traffic Police in the meeting held under EPCA which includesthe traffic signalization, re-designing of the intersection andopening of the medians at required location.
It was decided that the proposal may be placed in the next WG-II-B meeting for discussion before the same is recommended for consideration by the Governing Body.
The proposal was again discussed in the working Group II B meeting held on25.02.11 with the following observations and decisions:
- The proposal has been worked out in consultation with all stakeholders and monitored by EPCA. Major part of the proposal recommended by the EPCA is concerning the pedestrian safe crossings at various locations with introduction of pedestrian signals and opening and closure of medians at intersections mostly requested by the Delhi Traffic Police. The plan is also based on the approved MRTS Connectivity principles being taken up by the UTTIPEC as pilot study on all corridors.
- PWD and NDMC are the road owning agencies will implement the proposal who had also participated during the consultation process with UTTIPEC Core team, EPCA and DTP
- Specific proposals as stated above may be taken up as Ist phase. However, a long term Comprehensive Corridor Development Plan/ Integrated Transit Corridor Plan(in case of BRT corridor) incorporating the parking proposals for INA market, Yusuf Sarai market alongwith other connectivity issues to be taken up by UTTIPEC and the detail proposal be presented to the WG and GB
The proposal wasrecommendedwith the above observations for consideration/approval by the Governing Body.